Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Red Tent Necklace



This is a chevron style necklace I created as a prize for a raffle to raise funds for The North Carolina Friends of Midwives. It is called The Red Tent because we held an event in which a room was decorated in red and a diverse group of women came to tell their birth stories. It was an incredible experience to listen to stories that were triumphant, and others that were heartbreaking. Each woman was allowed to share, and tell her story in her own words, through her own perspective.
One of my other passions and callings, besides art, is doing everything I can to improve the quality of maternity care in my community. One of the ways that I do that is to support midwifery. And if I can do that through my art, then all the better.
The necklace was woven with a needle in right angle weave with blood red size 11 seed beads and embellished with 4mm faceted crystals. A peyote toggle and loop make up the clasp.

~ And so it was, when she was giving birth, that the one put out his hand, and the midwife took a scarlet thread and bound it on his hand, saying "This one came out first." ~
Genesis 38:28

No comments:

Post a Comment